Having completed my Bachelor of Engineering (Environmental) degree in 2002, I have since gained seven years of experience working in consulting (Maunsell Australia), local government (Yarra City Council) and in the renewable energy industry (ACCIONA Energy and Embark). My work experience includes project management, sustainability and environmental management, social impact assessment and community engagement.
In my most recent role as a Wind Farm Planner at ACCIONA Energy I managed the Allendale Wind Farm near Mount Gambier from concept through to planning approval. This was a complex role which combined the higher level tasks of coordinating the internal project team and external consultants, and managing relationships with external government and community stakeholders, with responsibility for the details of project administration, budgeting and ensuring that all reports and project communications were delivered to a high standard.
I am passionate about sustainability, and have led green office programs at Maunsell and ACCIONA Energy to ensure that internal office practices were consistent with the external communications and branding of these organisations.
My other passion is writing. I believe it is important to clearly communicate the details of proposed infrastructure projects to the broader community. I particularly enjoy ‘translating’ content from scientific and technical reports to be read and understood by a layperson.
Areas of expertise
Environmental planning and sustainability
- Managing the development approvals process for wind farms in Victoria and South Australia, including:
- Managing external consultants, including initial scoping of studies, selecting consultants and reviewing and editing reports to ensure technical reports are delivered to a high standard.
- Coordinating the internal project team.
- Liaising with key government departments on issues such as flora and fauna, cultural heritage, noise and aircraft safety.
- Writing and reviewing development applications and other approvals documentation.
- Preparing environmental impact assessments for large infrastructure projects.
- Preparing and implementing environmental management systems, environmental management plans and bird and bat management plans.
- Managing flora and fauna and cultural heritage issues during planning and construction.
- Researching environmental policies.
- Implementing green office programs.
Community consultation and social impact assessment
- Designing and implementing community consultation strategies, including:
- Managing key stakeholder relationships such as government departments, key interest groups and community groups.
- Preparing and publishing a wide range of communications materials (newsletters, information posters, summary documents and planning application materials).
- Organising community events such as wind farm open days, information sessions, community forums.
- Designing questionnaires and interviewing residents and other key stakeholders as part of social impact assessments.
- Media monitoring.